Author Topic: Hello From Iowa  (Read 60 times)

Offline Dawson89

• Morning Sun, Louisa County, Iowa, United States
Hello From Iowa
« on: April 19, 2019, 03:27:08 PM »
In the summer of 2005 I rode a motorcycle for the first time when I was 16. It was my great uncle's bike and he liked for me to start and run all his motors periodically. He asked me if I wanted to ride his Yamaha, and I quickly replied "YES!!". He asked if I had ridden before and I told him that I'd ridden dirt bikes, but never a street bike. He lived out in the country and said I'd be fine if I went for a ride. I took it out for a 10-15 minute ride and was hooked. My mom was against the thought of me owning my own bike and riding, so I would sneak in rides after I got done mowing his fields every other week. After college I purchased my first bike, a Yamaha V-Star 750 and over the past 8 years I've sold and bought a few different bikes and ended up riding a 2006 Yamaha FJR1300. My great uncle passed away and left the bike to my father, who passed away last summer. My mom decided that I should have the bike. It is a 1975 Yamaha XS500B. He bought it new in 1975 in Oak Forrest, IL and put a little over 4,000 miles on it. I cleaned the carbs and she started right up and ran nicely. I am going to go through the maintenance checklist and make sure all my ducks are in a row. The tires are in need of changing, and I took off the Vetter Windjammer 3 that was on it. I'm excited to get to ride the very first motorcycle I ever rode for years to come. Looking forward to being a member of this forum!

Rich Dawson

Offline guylr

• Administrator
    • ATL in the USA
Re: Hello From Iowa
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 08:54:21 PM »
Welcome Rich it sounds like you inherited a nice one.

Guy
Now Retired Yamaha guy. Cut me and I bleed "Cinquasia Red"