Author Topic: My '74 TX500 back on the road .  (Read 97 times)

Offline dave835

• Nevada , U.S.A.
My '74 TX500 back on the road .
« on: August 20, 2019, 01:59:06 AM »
  I've owned this buke since 1975 ! After racing it in 1976 at Riverside Raceway and Ontario motor speedway , I pulled the engine and re-did the top end with E-model pistons and a one piece head .I installed the factory oil cooler prior to racing it .
  After acquiring a few 4 cylinder bikes , I let the TX languish for many years , although always indoors . In 2012 , I took it apart for "cleaning" and just began re-assembly early last year , after moving to Nevada .
  Changes to the bike include aluminum rims , 2.15x19 front , and 2.50x18 rear , and a drilled disc from a late 80's Yamaha . this led to clearance issues between the caliper and spokes ; eventually I corrected this problem by cutting the hub section out of a rotor from an '82 650 Seca to center the rotor in the caliper without any shimming of the caliper .
  Galfer company in Carson City NV made up a new brake line (one piece) and supplied me with a banjo bolt with a hydraulic brake light switch integrated into it , greatly simplifying that area of the bike . Great people there , very helpful .
  Last major change made to the bike at this time was the installation of a headlight assembly from the 82 Seca . 8 inches diameter , doesn't cover the fork legs , and puts out lots of light . 

Dave

Offline berniebee

• Administrator
    • Ottawa, Canada
Re: My '74 TX500 back on the road .
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 04:35:26 PM »
So that's the square headlight?

Offline dave835

• Nevada , U.S.A.
Re: My '74 TX500 back on the road .
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 12:59:35 AM »
  No , it's the round 8inch light from a 1982 XJ650RJ Seca .