Author Topic: New Member and a few questions  (Read 280 times)

Offline XSive

• Life is a series of corrections
    • Modesto, CA USA
New Member and a few questions
« on: October 06, 2019, 03:20:12 AM »
Hi All,

I've got a 78 XS500e, and I picked it up for $200 and it doesn't run.  So I've cleaned it up a bit and have been trying to get it to run.  No clue on points gap, timing, or carb mix baseline settings.  Been reading previous posts to try and "get it" but I can't even get the 10mm hex out so I can spin the engine/crank to get to TDC.  What animal managed to install that without shredding the hex bolt, and why am I shredding it trying to get it out?  Is this hex reverse threaded for some reason?  See pic for 10mm in question-note stripping.  Ideas?  Tried warming it w a heat gun... Nope...
Bikes I've had:
1983 Suzuki GS-750
1967 Triumph Daytona SS
2004 Buell XB-12R (Track Only/Daytona Spec)
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14/GTR1400
2017 Yamaha YZ Triple
1978 Yamaha XS500E

Offline berniebee

• Administrator
    • Ottawa, Canada
Re: New Member and a few questions
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 11:13:32 PM »
Hey XSive,

$200 might be a great deal if you don't have to spend too much to get it going.

There is plenty of info on this site on just about any XS500 topic. *I think* there are still links to the service manual online, somewhere around here on the site.

If the bike has been sitting a while, you'll probably need to remove the carbs and at least remove the float bowls to have a look, to see if the carb is gummed up with old dried gas deposits. You put fresh gas in the tank, right?

Take the spark plugs out, reconnect them (Careful not to mix up the wires.) and rest the plugs on the top of the engine. Crank the engine and look for a blue spark. It's easier to see spark in the shade, or even better, inside a garage or shed.

That 10mm hex is a bear to loosen, but it is NOT reverse thread. So lefty loosey. I'm kinda surprised that it stripped. It looks like you used a good tool. You sure that you pushed the hex key all the way in? You might have to hammer it in.

Offline CrouchyUK

• Administrator
    • Brigg, Lincolnshire, UK
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 06:42:52 AM »
For the engine plug- the most common cause of it getting rounded and stuck in is previous use of a 3/8 hex wrench instead of the 10mm.  Although we did have a few new owners who thought that the plug actually turned the engine, rather than just give access.

Its very unlikely to be in there very tight- copper washer and engine internal helps here.  I get them out like this when they are beyond saving.....

http://www.xs500forum.com/index.php?topic=611.msg3141#msg3141
1975 Honda CB200T (2) - 1975 Yamaha XS500B (2) - 1976 Yamaha XS500C
1977 Yamaha RD400D - 1977 Yamaha XS500D - 1978 Honda CB550K - 1980 Honda CB400N
1980 Honda CB900FA - 2000 Kawasaki ZX6-RG2 - 2002 Suzuki GSX-R1000K2

Offline XSive

• Modesto, CA USA
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 04:57:26 AM »
Update: didn't realize I had to hammer the 10MM Allen through and past the 6 flared "fins" inside to get enough bite to turn it loose, thank you above for that tip!  Bolt looks like shit but it turns and I finally got it out.  I set the points gaps, and finally read and re-read enough of this forum and the manual to realize that cyl #2 (R) timing is adjusted by a smaller plate on top of the main timing plate... so, now that's sorted as well.  Next was tappet gaps which was fairly easy.  I'm now waiting on a new valve cover gasket. 

Oh, and before I did tappets... Obviously I got her running enough to use a timing light and SHES ALIVE!  Lacks power but I think my tappet work and carb tuning will help w these issues.  Took her for a spin around the block even, and stopped by my liquor store for a cold reward for my efforts... Now mind you I haven't ridden this bike even 1/4th of a mile yet, and this Indian kid who works behind the counter comes running out as I am getting ready to leave and asks if he can take a picture to send to his father back in India, as his dad's a fan of old bikes.  Of course I obliged but I couldn't believe that, in such a short exposure to "the world" someone already noticed it enough to get a pic!  I think this, and the bonds than men, father's, son's, etc form over motorcycles is the most priceless aspect of the hobby and lifestyle.  Anyway, I digress...

Bike only has 16,000 miles on it so I'm not too concerned about timing chain adjustments at this point, or should I be?  I was going to move on to carburetion next.  What do you guys recommend?

There is a yellowish opaque clear coat (factory?) of some kind that has dried and discolored and modeled into the aluminum and I'm trying to get it off but it's a bear.  My friend says it's Jewelers rouge, or cosmolene from the factory.
 Considering paint stripper or muriatic acid to remove it because it's just ugly... Thoughts?  Suggestions?  Alternatives?  I have arthritis so grinding for endless hours with hand sanding isn't very attractive, and is extremely painful so trying to find more efficient (chemical) means when possible. 

Thanks all for being here! 
Bikes I've had:
1983 Suzuki GS-750
1967 Triumph Daytona SS
2017 Yamaha YZ Triple
1978 Yamaha XS500E

Offline XSive

• Modesto, CA USA
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 05:03:12 AM »
There is plenty of info on this site on just about any XS500 topic. *I think* there are still links to the service manual online, somewhere around here on the site.

-i managed to find a $10 download online, and then 24 hours later the seller said he found the shop manual and even brought it to my house! 

If the bike has been sitting a while, you'll probably need to remove the carbs and at least remove the float bowls to have a look, to see if the carb is gummed up with old dried gas deposits. You put fresh gas in the tank, right?

Yes, fresh gas... Should I rebuild the whole carb?  16K total miles...

Take the spark plugs out, reconnect them (Careful not to mix up the wires.) and rest the plugs on the top of the engine. Crank the engine and look for a blue spark. It's easier to see spark in the shade, or even better, inside a garage or shed.

That 10mm hex is a bear to loosen, but it is NOT reverse thread. So lefty loosey. I'm kinda surprised that it stripped. It looks like you used a good tool. You sure that you pushed the hex key all the way in? You might have to hammer it in.
[/quote]
Bikes I've had:
1983 Suzuki GS-750
1967 Triumph Daytona SS
2017 Yamaha YZ Triple
1978 Yamaha XS500E

Offline guylr

• Administrator
    • ATL in the USA
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 06:05:40 PM »
The yellowed coating on the alloy covers and hubs is clear lacquer meant to prevent oxidation of the buffed parts. I remove it with paint remover as can be found at auto parts stores in spray cans. The clear coat will bubble up and remove easily. I usually do not re-coat with clear but just polish the parts from time to time with  aluminum polish.

Guy
Now Retired Yamaha guy. Cut me and I bleed "Cinquasia Red"

Offline XSive

• Modesto, CA USA
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019, 08:18:50 PM »
Awesome, will try that!  Thanks Guy!
Bikes I've had:
1983 Suzuki GS-750
1967 Triumph Daytona SS
2017 Yamaha YZ Triple
1978 Yamaha XS500E