Author Topic: Adjusting balancer chain  (Read 135 times)

Offline Santos75xs

• Kansas City
Adjusting balancer chain
« on: January 18, 2020, 07:42:24 PM »
I have a 75 xs500 and I am having trouble adjusting the balancer chain. I do not have the tensioner that is seen in other posts and am wondering if I will have to remove the rotor to adjust the chain.

Offline CrouchyUK

• Administrator
    • Brigg, Lincolnshire, UK
Re: Adjusting balancer chain
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 08:07:54 PM »
There are 3-4 different designs of tensioning for the balancer- none of which require the rotor to be removed?

Why not post up a photo of what you have so we can see?
1975 Honda CB200T (2) - 1975 Yamaha XS500B (2) - 1976 Yamaha XS500C
1977 Yamaha RD400D - 1977 Yamaha XS500D - 1978 Honda CB550K - 1980 Honda CB400N
1980 Honda CB900FA - 2000 Kawasaki ZX6-RG2 - 2002 Suzuki GSX-R1000K2

Offline Santos75xs

• Kansas City
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 08:20:22 PM »

Offline berniebee

• Administrator
    • Ottawa, Canada
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 05:40:17 PM »
It's a pain in the @ss! You have to remove the rotor to adjust the tension. I've seen three different designs for adjusting balancer chain tension and you unfortunately have the least user friendly one.

To start, I'll identify a few parts in your pic #2: The balancer chain is the one that is more inside, NOT the one that is wrapped around the rotor.
Looking just to the left of the rotor, there are two black Allen head  bolts. Together, they retain a single steel bracket. Now look carefully at this steel bracket, just to the right of the lower Allen head bolt. You can barely make out the teeth of a splined hole in the bracket. Inside that splined hole is a black, splined shaft that engages with the steel bracket.The black shaft has an Allen key hole in it. That is the shaft for the lower left sprocket, which is on an eccentric. That is where you make the adjustment.

To adjust: Remove rotor* and starter chain. (Watch for starter rollers and springs falling out when you remove the rotor. Don't ask how I know  :) )
Loosen the two black Allen head screws which retain the steel bracket, and pull the bracket away, so that it's splines are no longer engaged with the black splined shaft. With an Allen head key, rotate the black shaft, which will tighten/loosen the balancer chain. The manual says 5-7 mm play, at the middle of the visible, horizontal run of chain. Push and engage the steel bracket back on to the shaft, tighten the Allen head bolts and...your done. Well, except for putting everything back together!

*I remove the rotor by loosening the rotor retaining bolt a few turns, then using a two arm puller.

Offline berniebee

• Administrator
    • Ottawa, Canada
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 05:49:43 PM »
But you may NOT have to remove the rotor. You can definitely loosen the two Allen head retainer bolts. See if you can access the adjuster allen head by just removing the chain.

Offline Santos75xs

• Kansas City
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 07:05:07 PM »
I removed the starter chain and took the two Allen bolts holding the steel plate on. The steel plate has to come down a bit to come out. I couldn't get an Allen in the adjuster but I just turned it with a flat head screwdriver.

Now I don't know if I should buy a gasket or just use some sort of gasket maker.

Or if I use a sheet of gasket material, what should it be made of?

Offline guylr

• Administrator
    • ATL in the USA
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 03:34:15 AM »
Resist the temptation to use gasket maker and either buy a new left cover gasket or a whole set as you will probably need many of the rest in the future.

Guy
Now Retired Yamaha guy. Cut me and I bleed "Cinquasia Red"