Author Topic: Help w/ starter not working after bike running a while!!!!  (Read 107 times)

Offline DrayTX

• Texas
Help w/ starter not working after bike running a while!!!!
« on: January 23, 2020, 04:56:18 PM »
!977 xs500 I can ride for 45 min bike runs great! Then if I kill it for a second it will not crank at all.  Iv checked the wiring and know it ok.  Its almost like its in between gears.  Even at times I"ll try to kick start and there is no compression.  I can roll it forward a bit and then I have compression and the electric start will even work.  Blows my mind and I have no idea whats going on.  I can ride, the starter wont do anything, ill leave it alone for an hour and come back and hit the electric start and it fires rite up.   :o
Current bikes:
1977 Yamaha xs500
2005 Suzuki gs500

Past bikes:
2006 Suzuki gsxr600

Offline lumpy252

• Market Drayton Shropshire UK
Re: Help w/ starter not working after bike running a while!!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 07:55:42 PM »
This sounds similar to the experience of cobra in his piece - 1975 xs500b runs great for 20 mins then dies every time. The problem was put down to gummed piston rings not being free enough to expand when the cylinders heated up. So compression was lost until the engine cooled and closed the gap and then it would run again.

Offline DrayTX

• Texas
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 08:04:03 PM »
That would explain why i do not have compression on the kick! Thank you for that!
Current bikes:
1977 Yamaha xs500
2005 Suzuki gs500

Past bikes:
2006 Suzuki gsxr600

Offline lumpy252

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 08:18:59 PM »
This may be the explanation a compression test would give a clearer idea .

Offline lumpy252

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 11:56:44 PM »
Just to add that this is only one possible explanation as low compression can be caused by worn valves or just check valve clearances, and other obvious things like torque on cylinder head nuts . Damaged spark plug threads due to over tightening will cause this as well.