Author Topic: Balancer Chain  (Read 395 times)

Offline Joffa1

• Melbourne, VIC. Australia
Balancer Chain
« on: February 08, 2020, 07:41:12 AM »
I tried to follow the ďhow toĒ on this forum but the bike described had a different setup and could be tensioned with a slotted screwdriver. I donít see any way I can do that on my bike... (XS500c)

May I ask how I tension the balance chain on this model? Do I have to pull the rotor off?

Thanks so much!

Offline Joffa1

Re: Balancer Chain
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 08:04:01 AM »
Also can someone confirm which year these bikes got the heavier crank? Was it 1976? Thinking I may ditch the whole balancer setup... depending on if this is adjustable or not?

Thanks.

Offline Joffa1

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2020, 10:11:29 AM »
Subsequently found the information and my bike has the heavier crank.

Still curious as to how to tension this balancer chain on this model bike though?

Offline guylr

• Administrator
    • ATL in the USA
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2020, 03:48:49 PM »
The heavier crank was introduced on the 1975 XS500B to help reduce the low speed throttle sensitivity, "snatching", that was a problem on the TX500 models. The other change for '75 that was aimed at that problem was to add a crossover pipe to the exhaust system. Together they really did help improve the throttle response. The change to Mikuni carburetors for the XS500C made a further improvement on smoothing out power delivery.

Guy
Now Retired Yamaha guy. Cut me and I bleed "Cinquasia Red"

Offline Joffa1

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2020, 07:58:13 PM »
Ok great thanks for confirming that.

And adjusting this balancer chain???

Offline Joffa1

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2020, 08:11:33 PM »
Actually dug a little deeper in my search and found my answers.

Thanks again for the help.

Offline Joffa1

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2020, 09:47:17 PM »
Iíve read about the m16 x 1.5 pitch fine thread bolt to remove the rotor but what is the method for getting that first nut off... as everything rotates is there a trick to keeping it locked in position so I can break that first nut?

Offline lumpy252

• Market Drayton Shropshire UK
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2020, 11:48:58 PM »
I take it that you mean the central bolt in the end of the crank that holds the rotor. If you just put a spanner on it and hit it with your hand quickly the jolt will be enough to loosen the bolt. Then the puller is needed to lift the rotor from its key.

Offline Joffa1

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2020, 03:15:02 AM »
Yeah the brass one there in the middle.

Ok Iíll give that method a go. Thanks mate.

For the actual puller bolt thereís a bit of talk about the end having to be tapered. Is that absolutely necessary? I was going to just go down to my local bolt supplier and see if I can get an M16 x 1.5 pitch fine thread. Ideally what length does is need to be too?

Offline lumpy252

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2020, 08:00:56 AM »
The taper on the end is needed as the end of the crank is recessed and in order to push against it you need a narrow end to the puller. I will see if Ican post a picture of the right tool .

Offline lumpy252

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2020, 08:12:37 AM »
Here is one igot off ebay by searching 16 x 1.5 mm flywheel puller

Offline Joffa1

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2020, 08:54:55 AM »
Ok great. Funny most people donít mention the taper part they just suggest going to local fastener shop and getting m16 x 1.5 fine thread.

Will this work? Only local one on eBay.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F254347128222

Offline lumpy252

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2020, 09:44:29 AM »
I cannot say for sure as the taper on the end is a slightly different design and might not be long enough to reach the crank end to lift the rotor away. In the suggested alternatives eBay shows one from China that fits the bw80 and xs750 this looks like the one (though I appreciate that you want a speedy result ). Maybe you can find this one nearer to you.
Do you have the Haynes Manual for this bike as it concentrates on a uk xs500c and gives the descriptions and illustrations for this model ?

Offline Joffa1

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2020, 10:27:42 AM »
Ok thanks so much for the help.

I only have the Yamaha workshop manual unfortunately... hoping to source Haymes soon though. 

Offline lumpy252

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2020, 01:41:33 PM »
Hi again thinking about this the amount of taper needed is about half a centimetre with the inner diameter of the taper being one centimetre. So if it was me i would get the first puller you sent the link to and if its taper is no long enough I would take down the last one or two 16mm threads(grind them narrower to extend the tapered section) until it fitted. I am a rough diamond though.
The gear puller method does work but is not ideal. I will include pictures of a bottom half of a siezed engine I inherited to show the depth of the taper .