Author Topic: Balancer Chain  (Read 294 times)

Offline lumpy252

• Market Drayton Shropshire UK
Re: Balancer Chain
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2020, 06:34:17 PM »
One more thing  to mention is that the end of the puller should not be narrow enough to damage the threads that the end bolt fits in to (the brass bolt you have). See the picture has the puller with a flat end section of 12 mm diameter .

Offline Joffa1

• Melbourne, VIC. Australia
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2020, 06:59:49 PM »

Offline lumpy252

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2020, 07:06:14 PM »
Yes that looks the right one, all the best to you  :)

Offline Joffa1

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2020, 12:26:59 AM »
Thanks mate sure Iíll get there in the end. Cheers.

Offline Joffa1

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2020, 08:19:07 AM »
Iím leaning towards getting rid of the balancer system both to simplify maintenance and shed some weight. Given I have a model with the heavier crank Iím not too concerned about vibrations and if itís unbearable I can put it all back on I would imagine.

My question is... apart from the actual balancer chain what other components can I completely remove from the bike and is there anything else I should watch out for?

Thanks again.

Offline guylr

• Administrator
    • ATL in the USA
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2020, 12:22:44 PM »
Before you do it try to find someone who owns a Honda CB500T that will let you ride it. Then realize that a balancer less TX500XS500 without a re-balanced crankshaft rotaing set will probably be as rough or worse than the "Tokyo Vibrator".

Guy
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 12:47:11 PM by guylr »
Now Retired Yamaha guy. Cut me and I bleed "Cinquasia Red"

Offline Joffa1

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2020, 07:49:11 AM »
That bad hey? I thought consensus was it was fine on the XS500C and later models...

More information on this ďre-balanced crankshaft rotating setĒ?

Offline lumpy252

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2020, 12:18:52 PM »
Hi there Joffa1 have you checked to see if your balance chain is actually outside of the scope of the adjuster. I know opinion is divided on this but with the set up you have with the cover on the adjuster having to be removed I would remove the rotor . Then take the black cover off and see how much difference turning the Allen bolt adjuster makes to the chain tension. Then the cover is put back on to lock this in position. The Haynes Manual shows the set up on the c model. Maybe as CrouchyUK says it will just go from being loose to very loose but at least you will know what you are dealing with .
Balancing the crank involves taking the crankshaft out and taking it to an engineering firm .
If you read the articles on this site about this subject the answers are here . The option of fitting the up dated adjuster system ( the one in the original post you saw) is a good option to give more adjustment and make the process easier.

Offline Joffa1

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2020, 06:20:27 AM »
Hi mate... thanks for the detailed reply.

I was thinking just for ease of maintenance and maybe shaving a little weight it might be a good idea but as id have to remove the Rotor to get rid of all the balancer gear anyway I think I will take your advice and try for some adjustment and then maybe update with the later tensioner setup. I finally solved my hard starting issues and had it running for a good while the other day. The balancer chain is definitely loose I think I can hear it rattling around down there.

I need to get my hands on one of these manuals first and foremost... do they sell them new for the XS500c still or is second hand the only way to find them?

Appreciate everyoneís patience with all my questions... Iím very much a backyard mechanic but enjoying learning so much about the bike and motorcycle maintenance in general.