Author Topic: Replacing balancer/starter chains  (Read 111 times)

Offline Ted Bundy

• Karrebęksminde Denmark
Replacing balancer/starter chains
« on: March 23, 2020, 08:43:38 AM »
Greetings to all of you. I am going to replace both chains. The slack is way over critical limits. I also suspect that this major slack of the balancer chain, are making some annoying vibrations just when I open throttle and start driving.

The previous owner did a lot to the bike, but absolutely nothing on the motor.

i have the pulley, so my only question is this.

Since both chains are endless, I guess I have to loosen one of the sprocket wheels in order to fit the chain.
I guess its where both chains meet (think its a double sprocket wheel) Am I right about this??

Do I have to loosen the starter motor in order to fit the starter chain or can I fit it it along with the rotor being pushed in place?

And how are the sprocket wheel secured. With a nut or clip or...??

And do I need a special tool for this job?

Hope you can help. 1000 Thanks in advance  :)
Yamaha XS500 1976

Offline lumpy252

• Market Drayton Shropshire UK
Re: Replacing balancer/starter chains
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 11:28:20 AM »
Hi Ted you cannot tell for sure if the chains need replacing until you open up the left engine cover. Though there is no adjustment provided for the starter chain , this chain is only in use when the starter motor turns . The balance chain has some adjustment but as you are saying it may need replacing if too loose.
The starter chain is in front of the balance chain and this will just lift away with the smaller sprocket. The actual starter motor can stay in place as the chain just lifts away . The two chains are not on a shared double sprocket, but have their own guides and are not in-line.
You will need a flywheel puller to remove the rotor/flywheel to access the balance chain if it needs replacing.
The large starter sprocket is mounted behind the rotor (the rotor is held on by a central nut and also by a woodruff key in its centre which locates it on the shaft). The large starter sprocket only turns one way as the starter clutch with its internal springs only allows for one way movement. Once this sprocket and its guides are removed you can remove the guides and balance chain if necessary. Take care that the timing of the balance mechanism is correct on reassembly. Align the mark on the sprocket with the crankcase mark to do this.
All this being said do you have the replacement chains required ? Try to adjust the balance chain first you may be lucky .

Offline Ted Bundy

• Karrebęksminde Denmark
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 11:41:24 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply. I know how it looks like inside from when I replaced the generator. The starter chain had so much slack, its making marks on the inside of the sidepanel. Balancer chain is so loose, it cannot be adjusted anymore. I have two brand new chains.

Thanks again for the input 🙂🙂🙂
Yamaha XS500 1976

Offline lumpy252

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 11:51:09 AM »
I am going to look at my own 1975 model soon I will take some pictures . Good for you on getting the chains as they are not the easiest things to find without paying massive shipping charges.

Offline Ted Bundy

• Karrebęksminde Denmark
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 01:39:01 PM »
I know they dont make Them anymore, but you can buy the chains from this Companys in Denmark. They make Them themselves. https://www.atmcteknik.dk/yamaha/xs-500/57526/

😄
Yamaha XS500 1976

Offline lumpy252

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2020, 07:18:51 PM »
That link should help alot of people . I did have a look in my xs500b 's left engine cover and was very pleased to find that a previous owner has already installed the updated adjuster for the balance chain . Happy days  :D the bike maybe some what of a rough diamond but still a diamond to me .

Offline Ted Bundy

• Karrebęksminde Denmark
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 06:44:11 AM »
Thats good news  :)
Yamaha XS500 1976