Author Topic: Doug's Chopper June 2012  (Read 3553 times)

Offline berniebee

• Administrator
    • Ottawa, Canada
Doug's Chopper June 2012
« on: November 05, 2012, 08:23:01 PM »
You could  buy a Harley for big pile of cash OR you could follow Doug's lead and make an awesome chopper. It helps to have a farmers supply store close by:

"I have always been a Harley guy and thinking about building a bike for awhile but couldn't afford the big bucks you see going into the big bikes. I have always been into the old school chopper and wanted to really try to make one. I found this 1978 XS500E through a friend.

Yes it was in a barn and the guy had to remove the nails to get it out. It was in there for 6 years. it was the perfect project bike for me because of the dual disc brakes and the chain drive. These are easy to modify when stretching the frame.  I got it home, made sure it ran then stripped it down. First I stretched the frame seven inches.

I wanted to get that long low look and also I'm I tall guy so it had to fit me.

I taught my daughter how to weld and she helped me with the frame.

I used a stick welder and a cheap hand grinder to do all the modifications. I put a Harley Sportster tank on it and then I took a shovel out of my garden shed and beat out a seat pan.
The sissy bar is a piece of rebar I had laying around and the rear fender is a trailer fender. I got it at the local farmer store. I cut it down the middle and took 2 inches out of it before I re-welded it.

Once I got everything mocked up I gave it the best paint Wal-Mart had. Yes it is all done out of a rattle can.

When it was all said and done the whole project including buying the bike was under 1500 dollars.

This is my first chopper. The XS500 is a great bike. I hope to ride it for years to come. Enjoy! "

Offline ajksmith

Re: Doug's Chopper June 2012
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 08:24:30 PM »
Cool build.

Offline TXRAT

• USA
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 02:30:58 AM »
neat. very cool.

Offline cyrilsnear

• ireland
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 04:26:09 PM »
hey doug very nice ride not sure if ya still around but a couple of questions,
1. the top bars on the hardtail did ya bend them.
2.did ya just follow the line of the bike wit the bottm rails.
3.did ya need bigger spacers for the back wheel due to it being wider than swing arm