Author Topic: Field coil tape  (Read 132 times)

Offline cmjp74

• Devon, England
Field coil tape
« on: June 15, 2019, 09:00:21 PM »
My field coil tape has flaked off in places. It's now obviously got oil in the winding. My question is can I just re-wrap it ? I've been told that bias tape will do the trick, or do I need to throw the field coil away?

Something's causing crappy spark, but with all old bikes whever you look something's amiss. It might be the coil, but then again.......

Offline guylr

• Administrator
    • ATL in the USA
Re: Field coil tape
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 11:15:08 PM »
The stator coil does not affect your spark unless the battery goes dead. The stator windings are lacquer coated and won't be troubled by oil unless the windings have shorted to themselves. If you are still getting a charge to the battery that goes above 12.7v at around 1700 rpm them it's not the problem.

For weak spark, check the voltage at the ignition coils red/white wires with the key on. Optimally what you want to see is no more than a 0.5v drop compared to battery terminal voltage. If it does have a big voltage drop then suspect, the ignition fuse, handlebar kill switch contacts, mainswitch contacts and all harness connectors on the Red/White ignition circuit.

Guy
Now Retired Yamaha guy. Cut me and I bleed "Cinquasia Red"