Author Topic: Custom SS brake line specs, info, '76 and later  (Read 3184 times)

Offline berniebee

• Administrator
    • Ottawa, Canada
Custom SS brake line specs, info, '76 and later
« on: November 18, 2012, 11:20:20 AM »
Hi all,

Hopefully this info is useful if you want/need to order new stainless steel brake lines. It is possible to order XS500 brake line kits online, but often an online or local auto shop can make these cheaper. And by giving the exact specs to a shop, you'll ensure you get the correct lines.

I have a '76 XS500. I'm sure that the 76, 77 and 78 have identical lines, if you have another year -check your bike. The surest way to get the correct lines is to bring your old ones to a shop, but that's not always possible or convenient.

The '76 has three lines:

Top front line is 14" long, with 15 degree banjo fittings. The fittings are clocked 135 degrees.

Bottom front line: 20" long, 15 degree banjos, clocked 180 degrees.

Rear line : 26" long, bottom fitting is 15 degree banjo, top fitting is is 0 degrees (straight) banjo, clocked 90 degrees.  I know the rear line is mostly horizontal, but some brake shops prefer to talk  "top  and bottom" fittings.

Notes:

All fittings are 10mm Banjo type .  (If you are ordering from a car shop, beware that they will also have 12mm banjo fittings.)

Clocking = the number of degrees that the top fitting is twisted around compared to the bottom fitting.

Degrees = how much the metal banjo fitting is angled from straight.
The stock XS500 banjos are actually angled at something like 20 degrees, but most shops carry only 15 or 45 degrees. The 15 degree fitting fits fine.

Length = length of entire line including the fittings

Any questions- don't hesitate!

Offline jimmer

• Administrator
    • Pisgah Forest, N.C. USA
Re: Custom SS brake line specs, info, '76 and later
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 11:20:49 AM »
Do you have double discs on front? If not you can just go with a 1 piece hose and eliminate the casting between the 2 hoses.Also I have 2 spare front 30" braided lines if anyone needs one.

Offline berniebee

• Administrator
    • Ottawa, Canada
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 11:22:03 AM »
Good point about the single line, less cost, less places for possible leaks.

I do have the single front disk right now, but  I will go to double disks in the future.
Depending  on whether I can find a rhs caliper and double disk MC at a reasonable price.

Offline xs500rus

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 11:22:50 AM »
Do you have double discs on front? If not you can just go with a 1 piece hose and eliminate the casting between the 2 hoses.Also I have 2 spare front 30" braided lines if anyone needs one.

I'm interested in the rear hose! I'll PM you.

Offline lembot

• UK
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 07:26:15 PM »
Would these lengths fit a 1980 xs 500 c ?

Offline jimmer

• Administrator
    • Pisgah Forest, N.C. USA
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 10:25:18 PM »
Yes, if you have a sport touring type handle bar.Always a good idea to grab a tape measure and check it to your own bars and suspension combo.Both of my hoses are long gone,btw.

Offline lembot

• UK
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 07:53:05 AM »
Thanks guys! 8)