Author Topic: Brake line conversion for TX500A & XS500B  (Read 4179 times)

Offline dean

• Global Moderator
    • Highland Park, IL
Brake line conversion for TX500A & XS500B
« on: November 18, 2012, 11:24:13 AM »
Berniebee put up a great post on SS brake line upgrades for the '76 and up models, so here is some info on the older bikes

For those of us with old TX500A's & XS500B's.....  we have additional challenges . Stock,  we have a four piece brake line with a combination of banjos, compression fittings, hose and pipe. In addition, our brake switch is a pressure sensor threaded into the casting that seperates the  upper and lower sets of fluid lines !

A two piece braided hose conversion IS fairly simple  when retaining the stock master, brake switch and caliper on the older TX/ XS B model bikes.

The stock banjo fittings  on the master cyl and the bottom of the brake switch/coupler castings are standard 10x1mm, however the compression fitting threads in the top of the switch casting and on the caliper are 10x1.5  threads where the pipe fittings thread in. 

What you can do is have two new brake lines made with standard 10mm banjos on each end (of the correct length and clocking you determine , shown  on the sketch below in RED ).  What is also needed are two 10x1.5  banjo bolts ( same dia, just finer thread than the standard 10x1). . When shortened, they allow a banjo to be fastened to the top of the switch casting and the brake caliper where the OLD compression fittings were threaded in. The castings of the switch /coupler and the caliper are both flat and wide around the threads to allow for the banjo washers and a proper sealed fit. (You need to cut the 10x1.5 banjo bolts down so they do not come close the the compression cone down inside the castings) Standard 10x1 banjo bolts are used for the master cyl and bottom of switch casting, just like the stock set up.

If you have an updated master cyl with integrated brake switch and have the older style caliper, you can go with a one piece hose of the correct length and clocking  with 10mm banjos on both ends. You just need a shortend 10x1.5 banjo bolt for the old style caliper !

On my  '74 " bella " ,  I took the easy route- upgrading to a modern  master w/ integratged brake switch and an E model caliper swap allowed for a nice single piece braided brake line with 10x1 banjos on each end. 

Offline dean

• Global Moderator
    • Highland Park, IL
Re: Brake line conversion for TX500A & XS500B
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 12:37:45 AM »
I assume nobody with an early TX /XS-B model  upgraded to  stainless front brake lines with  banjos on both ends ( following the above post anyway ) .....because I provided a type-O on the bolt size  and nobody noticed  :-[   I was installing a one piece braided stainless line on my RD project this week and noticed the error

The existing banjo threads on the stock master cylinder and the brake switch junction are m10x1.25 

The threads on the brake junction switch and the front caliper are m10x1.0  ( where the stock solid line compression fittings screw  in )

Here is my crayon work with corrections:

Offline Garn

• Sydney, Australia
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 02:34:23 AM »
Query... Am I going to be in trouble not using the lower brake pipe and using only the lower brake hose line direct to a front mounted caliper, threading it thru the front fender support?
It does look a bit tight there!
BTW I did see a dual splitter in "Haynes" W/s manual.
RegardZ 
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 02:38:28 AM by Garn »
Kawasaki Z1, Z1A, Z1B, Z900-A4 and TX500A
    Sydney, Australia

Offline dean

• Global Moderator
    • Highland Park, IL
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 04:32:27 PM »
Just make sure you use the banjo end with the correct angle ( 15, 21.5, 45, 90 degrees etc) for proper routing and that and the line is long enough. Don't forget to shorten the  banjo bolt just enough so that the compression fitting inside the caliper is not fouled.

Offline Scottyt

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 12:32:29 PM »
Hey Dean, thanks for posting this info up, it was just what I was looking for. What master cylinder did you go with?

Thanks

Scotty

Offline dean

• Global Moderator
    • Highland Park, IL
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 12:58:28 PM »

Offline ken01

• Western Australia
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 09:05:54 AM »
Before getting to my questions can I first just see if I have this correct.

For the TX models: -

The internal threads on the junction/switch housing and front calliper are M10 x 1.0

The internal thread for the banjo bolt on in the master cylinder is M10 x 1.5

So if that is correct and just so I can continue to be lazy  and not pull mine apart to measure up, cause it is easier to just order what I need  and the when I have everything , pull it apart and put it  back together in one go, can someone tell me: -

What the external thread is on the two pipes where they screw into the hoses (Iím guessing M10 x 1.0, but thought I best double check)

Cheers

Ken
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 09:12:13 AM by ken01 »

Offline dean

• Global Moderator
    • Highland Park, IL
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 05:40:41 PM »
The compression fittings where the pipes screw into the hoses are 10x1.0 
The master cyl banjo bolt thread is 10x1.25

Also whilst I was measuring, the thread on the actual brake pressure switch is 10x1.25

I updated my crayon work below  ;D:

Offline ken01

• Western Australia
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 11:43:43 PM »
Cheers Dean, much appreciated

Ken

Offline TXRAT

• USA
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 05:46:53 AM »
ps use new copper rings on BOTH SIDES of the banjo fits and as always check your brakes & the other big two be fore test flight:) and i might have keep the stock front tubes &what if the caps where not total rats haa !! one even was drilled out to fit a lil' 1/4" plug :( i did get them loose but new caps. . .  :'( no £'s for them.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 05:52:21 AM by TXRAT »