Author Topic: New UK Member with XS500C  (Read 1072 times)

Offline desperado

New UK Member with XS500C
« on: March 29, 2013, 01:22:24 PM »
I originally bought a brand new XS500C in 1977, I absolutely loved the bike and saw it as the bike the British motorcycle industry should have made if they had spent money on R&D rather than resting on their laurels and continuing with something that was designed in the 50ís when the rest of the word had moved on.

Unfortunately I wrote the bike off after three months of ownership following a freak accident with a horse!
I never did replace the Yamaha.

Scroll on 31 years and I return to biking, my main steed being a VFR800, however I wanted a winter project so I got looking for a XS500 to rekindle the relationship that was cut short all those years ago.
One came up in reasonable condition in February 2009 (although the engine hadnít ran for 15 years) I have spent the last 4 years replacing various parts and bringing it up to a roadworthy condition..

I finally got the engine running last weekend although it still needs a little tweak to get it to tick over to run smooth after letting it warm up I got togged up and took it out for a ride.

I was expecting to be really disappointed with the ride as bikes have moved on a lot in 36 years and I was worried I would feel dreadful in comparison to my main bike which is now a VFR1200F, however I was pleasantly surprised the bike felt really sweet and reminded me of a Honda NC700X which I had ridden as a courtesy bike. I am now looking at completing the task of getting it on the road and now just have left a handful of tasks to complete before getting it taxed and MOTíd.

Before Christmas I was in a quandary what to do with it when I finally got it running as I thought I wouldnít want to ride it, however now Iím hooked and canít wait to get her on the road.

Desperado

Offline guylr

• Administrator
    • ATL in the USA
Re: New UK Member with XS500C
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 01:22:55 PM »
Welcome to the forum Desperado. Glad to hear that you've brought back another XS500 to running condition. I share your feelings about how well the 500 holds up against the modern bikes. Some old bikes deserve to be left in the past but the 500s were enough ahead of their time to still be a viable ride today. Feel free to ask about and problems you have with the bike and make sure to visit the Registry page and leave the info on your bike.

Watch out for that Doolin-Dalton gang when your out for a ride!

Guy

Now Retired Yamaha guy. Cut me and I bleed "Cinquasia Red"

Offline CrouchyUK

• Administrator
    • Brigg, Lincolnshire, UK
Re: New UK Member with XS500C
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 01:23:33 PM »
Welcome Desperado- always good to see more Brits on here! You are not a fair weather biker if you are on the road in the UK today- sub-zero temperatures!

I also had my first XS500 in 1977- mine was a S/H "B"- and 35 years later took my XS500C/D hybrid out for a ride, and the years rolled back...

Sounds like you're running and ready to go, but there's plenty of knowledge on here if you get stuck.

1975 Honda CB200T (2) - 1975 Yamaha XS500B (2) - 1976 Yamaha XS500C
1977 Yamaha RD400D - 1977 Yamaha XS500D - 1978 Honda CB550K - 1980 Honda CB400N
1980 Honda CB900FA - 2000 Kawasaki ZX6-RG2 - 2002 Suzuki GSX-R1000K2