Author Topic: Regulator/rectifier replacement  (Read 3209 times)

Offline yamahead

Regulator/rectifier replacement
« on: April 02, 2013, 02:55:09 PM »
It might  seem  like a silly question, but what is the main diffenerence between the Regulator and rectifier on a XS500B 75 model?

I have seen a previous post:    Regulator/rectifier replacement
http://www.xs500forum.com/index.php?topic=361.0
This unit listed on the previous thread has 2 wires off the block
http://www.regulatorrectifier.com/catalo....lator-Rectifier

It looks like here that this aftermarket unit has 2 wires coming out of it, so i presume the OEM Regular & rectifier connections both plug in to this unit instead of 2 seperate units as per original?

Could someone please shed some light on this.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 05:26:01 PM by CrouchyUK »

Offline berniebee

• Administrator
    • Ottawa, Canada
Re: Regulator/rectifier replacement
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 02:55:35 PM »
The rectifier converts alternating current (AC) coming from the alternator into Direct current (DC) , which is what the battery requires.

The regulator controls the alternator. The regulator senses the battery voltage, and if the voltage goes low, the regulator allows the alternator to output more power. As the voltage gets higher, the regulator decreases the alternator power output.

Yes, the aftermarket rectifier/regulator combo would connect the to the two original plugs that originally connected the regulator and rectifier.

There were some issues with a rectifier/regulator combo unit in another thread, the unit didn't work right for one of our members. We tried to help him out, but I'm not sure he found out what the problem was -sorry I couldn't find the thread.
(And I don't know if it was the same aftermarket unit.)

Offline yamahead

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 02:56:01 PM »
Thanks Berniebee.

Has anyone else used one of these combo units?

I am interested in getting one to go with the Newtronics electronic ignition i have just installed.

Interested to see if the combo units are any good and where to get one from, from somebody who has used one and works.

Offline CrouchyUK

• Administrator
    • Brigg, Lincolnshire, UK
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 03:00:17 PM »
Thanks Berniebee.

Has anyone else used one of these combo units?

I am interested in getting one to go with the Newtronics electronic ignition i have just installed.

Interested to see if the combo units are any good and where to get one from, from somebody who has used one and works.

Ther's a couple of discussions on these replacement rectifier/regulators- difficult to find as we tend to drift onto different subjects on here as we try and find out why a 40 year old bike that's spent 20 years in a barn will not do 80mph down the nearest motorway..

A few problems with them reported- but a possible solution talked about here:-

http://www.xs500forum.com/public_html/sfm/index.php?topic=517.0

I have changed my own view on this issue- I started out with a new combined unit on the shopping list. But having bench tested 4 original regulators now and found them to work perfectly, and also having half a dozen NOS rectifiers on the shelf- I think the original setup works just fine...

1975 Honda CB200T (2) - 1975 Yamaha XS500B (2) - 1976 Yamaha XS500C
1977 Yamaha RD400D - 1977 Yamaha XS500D - 1978 Honda CB550K - 1980 Honda CB400N
1980 Honda CB900FA - 2000 Kawasaki ZX6-RG2 - 2002 Suzuki GSX-R1000K2

Offline jet1749

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 03:00:46 PM »
For anyone interested in fitting a combined regulator/rectifier unit for whatever reason, here's my mod using an old CB900C unit. You'll find there are two plugs fitted to the unit. One has 3 wires - red/white, green, black. The other has 5 wires - 3 yellow, black, white.
Start with 5 wire plug and strip plug off donor unit and bike loom.
Connect all of the 3 yellow wires from the donor to all of the 3 white wires on the bike loom (in any order)
Connect black wire from donor to brown field wire on bike loom
Connect white wire from donor to green field wire on bike loom
Next 3 wire plug remove plug from donor and bike loom
Connect red/white wire from donor to battery positive
Connect green wire from donor to bike earth
Connect black from donor to switched positive
Carried this out recently to tidy up the wiring on my XS500 bobber which had the old style separate regulator and rectifier mounted under the single seat. Worked a treat with 12.8V at idle and 14.8V when revved up. Use info with caution and refer to your wiring diagram!!
John

Offline rundownfid

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 03:01:19 PM »
John;
That seemed reasonably clear, but could you include a few photos to ensure what our minds eye is seeing is what you have actually done?
Thank you,
rundownfid

Offline samuraix

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 03:01:47 PM »
Just a FYI. I had one of the aftermarket reg/rect combo units and the only way I could get it to work is to ground one side of the field coil I did not like this resolution since they claimed this was an oem replacement and I still was not.getting a good voltage so I got a NOS regulator. So far so good.

Offline Joffa1

• Melbourne, VIC. Australia
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2019, 09:34:10 AM »
Thread dig.

Has anyone come up with a good modern replacement regulator/rectifier?

Offline guylr

• Administrator
    • ATL in the USA
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2019, 03:37:09 PM »
Search on eBay for 1T4-81960-A0-00. That is the combined reg/rectifier for the Yamaha XS750, 850 and 1100. There are plenty of used and new ones listed and they are compatible with the XS500 charging system.

Guy
Now Retired Yamaha guy. Cut me and I bleed "Cinquasia Red"

Offline Joffa1

• Melbourne, VIC. Australia
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2019, 09:30:46 AM »
Terrific! Thanks again Guy.