Author Topic: My TX500 cafe project  (Read 17212 times)

Offline deadpresident

My TX500 cafe project
« on: April 09, 2013, 06:26:08 PM »
Just documenting my build... I have a thread on DTT, but I'd really like to share with all of you guys. I'll do my best to replicate my progress updates to date.

This is how she looked when I got her. At the time, I was picking up 3 bikes for $500, this was the only one with a title. You can see the other two to the right of the shot. The one in the foreground became a project for my best friend, after we tracked down the original owner and procured a title from him. The bike did not last long.... But I digress.
 This was my inspiration:
As such, my first order of business was to procure a later-model XS500 tank. I bought it from jimmer.

This is how the project started. At this point, I had already installed Mikuni VM32's, and cut the frame off behind the upper shock mounts. The "cowl" in this shot was originally a Bennelli mini-bike gas tank. I later decided against it, after I found a neat Ducati-replica seat section at the swap meet at the 2011 AHRMA races at Elkhart Lake/Road America. (damn, that's a lot of "ats")

Offline deadpresident

Re: My TX500 cafe project
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 06:26:40 PM »

Said Ducati seat.
Here, I had cut off the mufflers and passenger peg loops, and installed new headlight ears and a headlight grille I made from some of the screen I make at work and some .250" inch round stock. You can't see it in this picture, but I'd also made a new kickstart lever, with a BMX bicycle pedal. I'd also cleaned up and painted the side covers on the engine.
A close-up shot of the headlight grille.

Offline deadpresident

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 06:27:15 PM »

The FZR600 brake rotor bolted right up, but the CBR600f1 Hurricane caliper required an adaptor. This is the mock-up.

Offline deadpresident

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 06:27:52 PM »
Clipons installed.
At that point, she looked like this:
 Not too far removed from her current state.

Offline Gymi

• Administrator
    • Royal Oak, Michigan
    • Gymi's Garage
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 06:28:30 PM »
You got a damn good start, the bike is looking good.

96 VFR750
01 WR426

Offline deadpresident

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 06:28:56 PM »
Thanks! I still have a lot of work to do, but she's coming along!

Offline derkmart

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 06:29:15 PM »
nice ideas, i like it

Offline deadpresident

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 06:29:43 PM »
Nice ideas? What do you think of this one?

Offline deadpresident

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 06:30:16 PM »
I haven't had too much chance to work on her... I've moved twice in the last 4 months, and money is tight. I did get a start on swapping the head out for one that isn't cracked, and I brazed on a little loop to mount the taillight behind the seat section. I also finished installing the brass and stainless mesh on the sprocket cover and painted it black again. I have a two-into one exhaust mocked up as well. Just like the wrenchmonkees bike but black! Oh, and I'm thinking if using a cut-down superbike muffler instead of the reverse megaphone... I don't want to bite their style too hard... Pictures soon!

Offline deadpresident

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 06:30:42 PM »

First new pic- in the truck on her way to my new place. You can see I re-installed the stock shocks temporarily- the RYF shocks are WAY too long. Also the taillight mount is evident, as well as the plastic bag and rags protecting the innards since the valve cover is off getting painted, and I'm prepping to cut the cam chain joint link. Then it's time to swap the head and rewire the whole bike. Oh, and fork seals. Almost there! If I hadn't had to move last week, I'd have been able to ride her to Rockerbox....

Offline deadpresident

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 06:31:20 PM »
It has been a while, hasn't it? 
Here we see the cams exposed, with timing marks aligned where tdc  is supposed to be... I  say " supposed to be" because I actually found the ignition timing at this :
It was fairly easy to determine that the cams were off a tooth, by sticking a straight section of coat hanger down the spark plug hole and kicking the motor over to find where TDC really was. That lead to another easy discovery; I separated the cam box from the head and removed it, but still didn't have enough room to remove the head while the motor is still in the frame. I guess years of working exclusively on two-strokes had made me complacent...
I also discovered that the head gasket was slathered in clear silicone . Not cool. Today, I'm going to pull the motor so I can finish the job of removing the head, and swap valve springs over to my "new" head.

Offline CrouchyUK

• Administrator
    • Brigg, Lincolnshire, UK
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 06:32:35 PM »
Nice project, but I am afraid if you change the valve timing as you are proposing your new head will be coming off again!

Valve timing and the marks on the camshafts/bearing covers is referenced to the "V" mark on the governor plate. Not to TDC. As such your photos above look about right, the "V" mark is just visible in the gloom

You are in danger of setting the valve timing 90 degrees out which will cause damage to valves and pistons at least....
1975 Honda CB200T (2) - 1975 Yamaha XS500B (2) - 1976 Yamaha XS500C
1977 Yamaha RD400D - 1977 Yamaha XS500D - 1978 Honda CB550K - 1980 Honda CB400N
1980 Honda CB900FA - 2000 Kawasaki ZX6-RG2 - 2002 Suzuki GSX-R1000K2

Offline deadpresident

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 06:33:27 PM »
Well, dang! I guess my manual is mistaken, then! The book I have says to set the right cylinder to TDC, and the marks on the cams should line up with the v on the caps!

Offline djietre

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 06:35:32 PM »
Said Ducati seat.
Here, I had cut off the mufflers and passenger peg loops, and installed new headlight ears and a headlight grille I made from some of the screen I make at work and some .250" inch round stock. You can't see it in this picture, but I'd also made a new kickstart lever, with a BMX bicycle pedal. I'd also cleaned up and painted the side covers on the engine.
A close-up shot of the headlight grille. [/quote]

Hi,

Nice build!

Where did you get the cafe seat? I'm looking for one in that style!

greetz dieter

Offline berniebee

• Administrator
    • Ottawa, Canada
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 06:36:17 PM »
Nice pics! Thanks for the updates, I await some more!