Author Topic: NEW Electronic Ignition Option  (Read 1189 times)

Offline dailydose1

• Lebanon
NEW Electronic Ignition Option
« on: September 26, 2018, 01:08:23 PM »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-1975-1978-XS500c-1973-1974-TX500-ELECTRONIC-IGNITION-TYRTRONIC/113256295997?hash=item1a5e99ee3d:g:52sAAOSwXZZboFq1

I hadn't seen this option before, looks like a cost effective option for electronic ignition....

*I have run this brand with my cb350 and it worked without issue so I have had apositive experience*

Offline guylr

• Administrator
    • ATL in the USA
Re: NEW Electronic Ignition Option
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 03:43:06 PM »
I'm going to assume that this retains the governor assembly. Essentially it's like the old Pertronic pickups that were available for cars back in the 70s to replace the points. As such it doesn't not control iming advance and retard so it needs to use the existing governor. If it doesn't then don't get it.

Guy
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 01:26:40 AM by guylr »
Now Retired Yamaha guy. Cut me and I bleed "Cinquasia Red"

Offline dailydose1

• Lebanon
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 03:48:24 PM »
Correct, it uses the advance governor but has its own rotor. Interesting it says xs500c but not e or d. I have messaged for more info and will let you know if I hear anything

Offline lumpy252

• Market Drayton Shropshire UK
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2020, 01:00:38 PM »
This maybe an old thread but the link says they have just one left if anyone fancies taking a punt. I did as I was sufficiently intrigued. Shipping from US to UK may take some time though and perhaps customs will require extra payment before delivery . Happy New Year .

Offline lumpy252

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2020, 02:19:17 PM »
On further examination the postage address is China not US (dollars used in both ) any how we will see what happens .

Offline lumpy252

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 08:29:46 PM »
Hi again just to update , I was pleasantly surprised when after ten days the system arrived . I have experimented on a spare governor plate that I acquired with my bike. This showed that the rotor fits and the replacement plate that the sensors are mounted on lines up with the original points plates dimensions. The rotor has two magnets to trigger the sensors to fire the cylinders. The only thing that I need confirmation on is the live feed to the systems red wire. The instructions say to take the live feed from the brown positive wire from the ignition switch ( and not the ignition coils as the newtronics system does). I am pretty sure that this means to split a brown wire at the switch but have emailed the manufacturer to confirm . So as yet it is not installed on the bike but it looks promising.