Author Topic: Newtronics ignition YAM3  (Read 25213 times)

Offline redcon

Re: Newtronics ignition YAM3
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2013, 08:48:00 PM »
Ya, dude is never gonna get that kind of sales for this bike...is there even 200 on the road at the moment? heheh. I definitely can't blame him though.

Just to say it though, I would put down a deposit and ultimately buy one if he were to ever make one. I have re-welded my Newtronics rotor, but have yet to install it and am weary of it working/lasting. My only other option right now is to put the points back in, yikes!

Offline jimmer

• Administrator
    • Pisgah Forest, N.C. USA
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2013, 08:48:31 PM »
Other than the iffy rotor weld/braze I love my Newtronics.Knock on wood.It has been in service since the mid nineties.And now we get a discount! redcon, put it in and forget about it!

Offline tvholstein

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2013, 08:49:23 PM »
Ill buy it for 40 (+postage) if your willing to send it over Europe.

Offline redcon

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2013, 08:49:51 PM »
FYI:

Got an email back.

"Dear Sir,

We regret the problem you are experiencing and are investigating what action we can take.

We do not wish to send another rotor which has a similar problem and are checking current rotor stock for any deficiencies.

Yours sincerely,

Autocar Sales Support"

Offline yamahead

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2013, 08:51:00 PM »
Just got my Newtronics ignition today. Will look at fitting it over the weekend.

It looks great, however looking at it I think it could do with a little silver solder brazing before installation on the rotor disc. This will probably be done in 20 mins or so, so no problem.

I know a lot of people aren't to happy with the rotor welds, but its still better than old mechanical points though and lucky someone actually makes one to suit our bikes and with electronic points hopefully no adjustments needed any more.

I've seen a single (Left or right) point going on evil bay for btw $20-30 each, so it may be a good investment if it works for quite a few years.

Offline yamahead

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2013, 08:52:08 PM »
Got a bit delayed waiting for other parts to arrive, but are just fitting the Newtronics ignition now. I looked at the rotor shaft and after reading other peoples issues i have noticed that it seems to have the tiniest amount of brazing (?) between the flat disc and the round rotor shaft.

I was considering on brazing (with my Mapp Gas bottle and silver solder, same as for copper plumbing) but are concerned that with getting the flat disc so hot to braze it, that it might warp it and that it might also actually unsolder the existing weld and the disc will move out of position.

I have also spoken to a local fitter & turner engineer who was also concerned about doing and did not want to do for same reasons.

Could others please explain what they used to braze or weld it without it moving out of position or warping the disc.

Do you think it would be unreasonable to ask newtronics to post a new rotor with better welding (Assuming they will)?

Please advise anyone.

Offline redcon

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2013, 08:53:01 PM »
Heard back today about the problem. Lets see if they follow through.

"Dear Sir,

I cannot find a note that this enquiry has been replied to. If it has not please accept my apologies for the delay.

We have investigated this issue and believe it is possible the heat being generated in this application can be sufficient to soften the rotor solder and allow the blade to move under vibration.

We have identified an laser welding method to secure the blade to the rotor and I have an example of the new rotor assembly I can send to you.

Please let me have your address details and I will despatch it.

Yours sincerely,

Autocar Sales Support

Offline redcon

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2013, 08:53:25 PM »
Nice! So they actually sent me another rotor with some nice lazer welds on both sides. They did right by me.

Here's both sides:

Offline deadpresident

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2013, 08:53:58 PM »
It is nice that they recognized and corrected the problem for future units.... But what about those of us with units we've already bought? I am less worried about myself, I just threw a pair of tack welds on it, it's the principle ....

Offline redcon

« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2013, 08:54:23 PM »
Ya, I can't see them going through the trouble of contacting past customers (not sure if it would be possible in most cases) But I would guess that they would send you one if you contacted them as I did. I didn't pay for the replacement, but then again I have a recently sold unit. That being said, I provided them with no receipt or anything but an email with some pics and my address.

YMMV

Offline yamahead

« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2013, 08:54:49 PM »
i've sent them 2 emails now with no response about the dodgy rotor.

I have put a small tack in 3 spots for the moment with a arc welder, but still not happy.

Offline jamesw

« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2013, 08:55:17 PM »
I bought a kit from a a guy in Australia about 6yrs ago but it never worked. I believe its the module.

Newtronics had the module P14N on their ebay site and I picked one up. Its on my to do list to try again and I will check the welding first

Offline dfrnt

« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2013, 08:55:42 PM »
Just received a kit from Yambits and it has the pretty laser weld on the rotor :)

Offline TXRAT

• USA
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2014, 02:50:01 PM »
Well, I do not know anything about the new Tronix unit. the pickup fro the pickup from a xs400 will not work, TX the dimensions are too wide ass in where it bolts down on the side of the case it will have to have a spacer between a cover and the case in order to fit. I have heard that you can use the piece of of the mechanical advancer from my 400 if you are able to make a spacer that it could work. But it will require a spacer at the very least to be made. I just built my own with automotive parts song I really don't know what to say about the neutron is one but I have not heard any good reviews, especially for the money you spend. The one I felt shocked the we are out of me while I was turning it over to see for spark so I will have to assume it works just as good as the factory stuff, I modified my mechanical advancer 4 magnetic impulse switch.

Offline frojoe

« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2014, 10:04:51 PM »
I know this is an old thread, but any chance someone knows if they still makes these?  Cannot find any info on Autocar, and the "google search phrase" listed on the first page on how to find this unit doesn't seem to work.

Any help is appreciated!  Thanks,
joe