Author Topic: Joe's April 2013  (Read 2758 times)

Offline berniebee

• Administrator
    • Ottawa, Canada
Joe's April 2013
« on: April 10, 2013, 10:31:31 PM »
This is my 1976 XS500C. It began as a $200 hunk of pitted metal and foul smelling fluids (with a clear title) that had been sitting outside a shed since 1984. She was fitted with a load of cruiser garb and to this day is the only XS500 dresser I have seen.

The engine was stuck solid, so I started pouring marvel mystery oil in the cylinders every day while I was simultaneously stripping dresser parts off. After about a week I stuck her in first gear and rolled her off the center stand with a good shove and that was just enough to break her loose.

After getting the engine loose I spent the least amount of money I could to get her running, fashioning a temporary fuel tank from a calf feeding bottle and rebuilding the carbs. I wanted to be sure the engine was ok before spending money on making her nice. After about 200 kicks (the starter isn't working) she fired to life in a fantastic display of smoke and exhaust debris, filling the entire street with a wonderful blue glow. Once she ran for a bit she actually idled smoothly and sounded great. The build was on.

I've been working on her off and on for a couple months. I've cleaned, painted, or polished nearly every surface on her. She now sports led blinkers and tail light, a Danmoto digital dash, XS500E tail and seat, new tires, and loads of black paint. I should easily have her done by spring. I can't wait to put the first miles on her after 29 years of awaiting resurrection.

Thanks for the interest on the build! I'll keep you all updated!-

Offline fomocoguy

Re: Joe's April 2013
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 10:32:05 PM »
Here's a pic of how she sits today; update and more pics to come in my build thread.