Author Topic: Just bought a new throttle cable, 8 inches over length... Am I in trouble?  (Read 4664 times)

Offline c3powil

Hi guys,

Yesterday I was riding my 1973 TX500 to work and the throttle cable head snapped off. I bought a new one on ebay but it is 8 inches over the length of the oem one. Is this going to cause tension problems, or is the adjuster able to handle this well?

Offline galagmosh

• Anneberg, Sweden
That shouldn´t cause any tension problems as long you route it in a good way so it doesn´t get stuck or strained anywhere. It will certainly be quite an excess of cable unless you´re running apehangers  ;)

Offline c3powil

Thanks. Any feasible way to shorten it?

Offline galagmosh

• Anneberg, Sweden
Not any that I would recommend, no.

Offline robfriedenberger

You could try cutting it and using cable clamps in the middle, I wouldn't recommend it though due to more of the cable being exposed, I'd just try to tuck it in some where or see if the seller will work with you on getting shorter cables.

Offline c3powil

Well I already bought the pair of them on ebay for 16 bucks and free shipping so I suppose the extra length is something I can live with. Thanks for the help fellows.

I would also like to ask about some idling problems I've been having lately. I just bought the bike less than a week ago. The PO says he just jetted around town on it and never had any problems. I rode home on it 25 miles through the highway, and about halfway I pulled in the clutch to coast down a hill and the bike just died on me. I released the clutch hoping that it would start back up since I still had some speed, but it wouldn't. After about 5 or ten minutes of kicking I got it to live again. This happened again as I stopped at a light just off an exit.

My theory is this:

The carbs are not stock. As the PO put it, they are "fat carbs" that put out a lot of  fuel. Also there are no air filters, just velocity stacks. So I assume the PO never had to put the bike in 5th, or only for short periods, but since I was running the bike in 5th for so long the amount of fuel being put into the engine was too much for such an abrupt return to idle. Therefore, the large amount of lingering fuel was too much for the small amount of air that was then being mixed. Seems like steady logic to me.

Anyway, I tried upping the idle speed and that seemed to improve the problem, however it still happens every now and then. Any of you guys have any wise words?

Offline CrouchyUK

• Administrator
    • Brigg, Lincolnshire, UK
Ah- I was wondering why you were talking throttle cable singular with a 73 TX!  Originally the bike would have had Keihin carbs which have a dual cable arrangement.  I see now that in one of your other posts you mention you have Mikuni carbs fitted.  These could be the BS38's as fitted to the later XS500C/D  or even the BS34's as fitted to the XS500E models.  These carbs are detailed on the XS500C and XS500E FSM supplements which are both freely available on here as PDF's and elsewhere.  It's a common upgrade and the FSM will have all the standard settings and jet sizes.  Or they could even be non XS500 type Mikunis.  You are running without the stock air box and filter so maybe you need to start somewhere by checking the jet sizes you have now.  Unlikely to run really well unless these have been changed from stock.

For the 8" too long throttle cable I wonder whether there has been confusion as to what model bike/carbs it is for, although there are a few overlong throttle cables out there from pattern parts suppliers to cater for strange bar setups.  I just had a look at a XS500C and couldn't easily see where I could loop the extra in without it looking daft.  What about shortening it at the carb end and putting a solderless nipple on?...

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 11:27:55 AM by CrouchyUK »
1975 Honda CB200T (2) - 1975 Yamaha XS500B (2) - 1976 Yamaha XS500C
1977 Yamaha RD400D - 1977 Yamaha XS500D - 1978 Honda CB550K - 1980 Honda CB400N
1980 Honda CB900FA - 2000 Kawasaki ZX6-RG2 - 2002 Suzuki GSX-R1000K2

Offline c3powil

My carbs resemble mikuni vm models. Not sure what size but I know that I was wrong to buy the set of cables from ebay. I need a 2 to 1 cable that will fit these vm carbs.

That being said, I have another question. Since it was only the little round head that snapped off of the cable, wouldnt anything else do? A solderless nipple... or maybe I could just make a hook out of the end...?

Offline c3powil

Also, what about just soldering the end with a soldering gun? Would that hold up under torque?

Offline guylr

• Administrator
    • ATL in the USA
Old timers used silver solder that requires a torch or solder pot for securing new ends on cables. You should forget that and just buy a new cable set from Mike's XS for aftermarket carb sets.

http://www.mikesxs.net/products-41.html#products

Guy
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 10:20:16 PM by guylr »
Now Retired Yamaha guy. Cut me and I bleed "Cinquasia Red"

Offline galagmosh

• Anneberg, Sweden
Old timers used silver solder that requires a torch or solder pot for securing new ends on cables. You should forget that and just buy a new cable set from Mike's XS for aftermarket carb sets.

+1 on that.

Soldering the nipple would probably some day just end up in riding home with the bare end of the cable wrapped around your finger, and that hurts!  :(
Same goes for those screw-on nipples. They don´t hold up in the long run. I´d go for a new cable  if the 8" longer is a nuisance.

Offline c3powil

Any way I can hook up those cables to my vm carbs?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-75-Yamaha-TX500-XS500-Throttle-Cable-Set-/261028538027?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cc68366ab&vxp=mtr

This is the cable set I bought. I can deal with 8 extra inches. I just need the bike to get me from point a to point b for right now.

What Im concerned about is if these cables will work for my vm carb setup.

Offline guylr

• Administrator
    • ATL in the USA
No. Forget those and get the two into one set from Mike's and a single pull throttle assembly as used on the '76 and later bikes. The VM's don't use a push pull setup like the stock TX modes did.

Guy

Offline guylr

• Administrator
    • ATL in the USA
Someone here on the forum is bound to need those 8 over push pull cables for a TX with ape hangers.

Guy

Offline dean

• Global Moderator
    • Highland Park, IL
 I have never seen a  Bosozoku style XS500 build...  those long cables might be in demand now that Café Racers are out of vogue !