Author Topic: Custom throttle cables, anyone with experience?  (Read 1426 times)

Offline c3powil

Custom throttle cables, anyone with experience?
« on: July 19, 2013, 04:16:44 PM »
So after purchasing and sending back two different cables from various sources I ordered the universal mikuni 2 to 1 throttle cable from dime city. This cable supposedly works with most mikuni carbs and even came with the little copper caps that fit into my vm34 carb slides. Perfect. Im supposed to cut the cables to length and then solder the caps to the ends of the cables for a perfect length 2 to 1 cable. Easy enough. However the cables themselves are actually thicker than the copper ends that they supplied with the purchase. How is this even supposed to work? There are holes in the copper ends so that I can slide the cable through and solder in place, but, again, the cables are much too thick to fit through that hole. Am I missing something here or did this manufacturer really send me incompatible parts in the same package? I compared the cables with the cables in my broken 2 to 1 throttle cable and the new ones are at least half as thick. Is there any way I can strip these cables down to be skinnier?

Offline dean

• Global Moderator
    • Highland Park, IL
Re: Custom throttle cables, anyone with experience?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 04:25:31 PM »
Stripping the cables down to fit the hole is unsafe. Now drilling the hole in the end to fit the cable makes more sense, however  you should send them back  Dime City and buy a proper cable set from Sudco, etc.  Much of Dime City's "universal fit" products end in fail  :o  ( based solely on my forum reading experience )

Offline richard

• Washington D.C., USA
Re: Custom throttle cables, anyone with experience?
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 03:01:38 PM »
I ended up buying the individual parts from various people and then making everything myself using mostly mountain bike cable stuff. It worked great because if I needed more cable because I messed something up I could just go back to the bike shop and get what I needed, not having to wait for it to arrive in the mail.
1973 TX500, Mikuni VM32 carbs, K&N cone filters