Author Topic: Getting Your TX/XS500 Running Again - Task List For Beginners!  (Read 6445 times)

Offline dean

• Global Moderator
    • Highland Park, IL
So I was thinking ...( no my brain did not start smoldering  ::)  )  ... I was flipping through posts by newish members here....

When  a TX/XS is picked up by a new owner... they are rarely in running condition or there is a issue with them  ( maybe how they ended up finding us in the first place ) 

This may already be here somewhere and the search function did not find it......Should we put together a checklist with maint/tasks that should be performed ? Or a flow chart?   I see a lot of bouncing around from timing to carb screws to this and that.... yet if everything were checked off up front, there is a high likelihood that after the correct steps are completed in a correct and complete fashion.. the bike will run well, ( short of non-stock mods or internal mechanical issues)   

It's always best to do things in order and to be very thorough with each task when picking up a non running bike... or if you have one running poorly . 

Here is a ( incomplete )  *draft* of items and specific order .. please feel free to chime in.... add etc..   

Change the  oil and filter dammit !  ( heard something of that sort from across the pond )

Insert chain adjustments in here somewhere...

Set  valve clearances-

Test compression

Test capacitors

Clean ignition advance cam assy

Clean or replace points

Set point gaps

Gap and install new plugs

Remove and thoroughly clean the carbs , ensure all circuits and passages are clear and everything is spotless. Set float level & re-oil butterfly shaft felt seals. Just do not "squirt" some carb cleaner into a carb. I mean thoroughly clean the carbs.
Check the jets to ensure they are "stock" and use the stock air box.

Set timing ( both L and R ) with timing light. double check point gaps if you had to move the R one vs. just rotating the plate. Then of course double check both gaps and L and R timing again. Keep idle at 1200 rpm..  ( you don't want to set timing with a partial advance at higher rpm)

Sync the butterflies with a manometer or vacuum gauge set.

Set the pilot screw to one turn out then tweak

Change the  oil and filter

Check plugs 

( Then there is the other basics .. clutch adjustment, drive  chain, fork oil etc. that should be performed but are general preventative maint items in the manual ) 

just sayin.... I rescue many turds of various makes/models  each year that were "not running" ...and it is usually something fairly simple to get them on the road and adopted by a new owner.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 11:22:51 PM by CrouchyUK »

Offline dean

• Global Moderator
    • Highland Park, IL
Re: DRAFT ONLY - broader checklist to include all checklists
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 10:52:29 PM »
bump-  paging anyone with opinions..... guy , nige, paul, ringo, : looking for input, additions , change of order....

for the group... this was a working draft... I forgot about it, but it would be a nice hand out when  a new owner drags a non runner home that has been sitting

Offline CrouchyUK

• Administrator
    • Brigg, Lincolnshire, UK
Re: Getting Your TX/XS500 Running Again - Task List For Beginners!
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 11:51:50 PM »
Sorry- somehow missed the original post!

They say never volunteer, but also never refuse a volunteer, so let's do this- Dean has been promoted to be our first Moderator (unpaid!) which will allow him to edit this thread to update the list of things to do at the top.  I have also made this topic sticky so it stays at the top.  If anyone has any suggestions then just reply with ideas and then we can update the first post with the definitive checklist.

Over to our members......
1975 Honda CB200T (2) - 1975 Yamaha XS500B (2) - 1976 Yamaha XS500C
1977 Yamaha RD400D - 1977 Yamaha XS500D - 1978 Honda CB550K - 1980 Honda CB400N
1980 Honda CB900FA - 2000 Kawasaki ZX6-RG2 - 2002 Suzuki GSX-R1000K2

Offline smithers

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 10:49:10 PM »
Great checklist ! Done and done. One addition may include checking intake boots for cracks, and possibly sealing to head with a little rtv gasket sealer. no vacume leaks . Also leaky exhaust gaskets at the head can cause deceleration popping. Better check those too .  8)

Offline Garn

• Sydney, Australia
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 08:21:08 AM »
Guys, just been thru the process of getting the Tx500 on the road after being sitting for a while.
After having to treat three pin-holes in the fuel tank with POR15, I proceeded to fix the two fuel cocks. These cocks were filled up with what looked like cement.
Carbs were clean... Someone previous had done this trying to get it to start.
Replaced the battery with a Motorbat "spill free", plugs out and replaced, oil down bores ... checked compression 100 psi, however, it was cold.
Next and most importantly.... Checked tappets.... I found they were all tight 0.001 to 0.002 " Checked and adjusted points, checked timing with light
Started her up, balanced carbs.  Ran well, re-checked compression when hot 140 psi.

I still have a small oil leak that drips both sides near the inner exhaust manifold bolts. Could be head gasket!
I have read recently since doing my tappets that inlet should be 0.008" and Exh 0.010" (This was in a Yamaha edit).
I set mine at inlet 0.006" Exh 0.008"
I didn't oil change as yet, as it was extremely low on oil at the outset and I slightly overfilled it.

I still have to adjust that balance chain (I have read here, it is most important.)
I'm getting it registered next week .... Thanks for these guide lines Dean.

RegardZ.
Kawasaki Z1, Z1A, Z1B, Z900-A4 and TX500A
    Sydney, Australia

Offline cafexs

• Rapid City, SD
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 03:31:36 PM »
Very good checklist Dean!

My XS500 was sitting in a garage for several years.  The first steps I had to do was to drain the old stale gas out of the gas tank, clean and coat the interior of the tank, repair / replace the petcocks.

I have followed all of the steps except adjusting the timing, which I am working on now.  I am fighting the "sporadic high idle" issue.  Hoping the timing adjustment will solve.

Thanks for an excellent forum and the experts giving directions and advice!

Curt
'78 Yamaha XS500E
'81 Yamaha XV920
'08 Kawasaki Concours 14
'12 Triumph Street Triple R

Offline James R

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 05:31:20 AM »
Thank you
    I've got a good start but it's going to be a job.

It's almost like my riding mower engine only it will let me enjoy the ride.

Offline Machai79

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 02:28:42 AM »
Curt were you able to solve your "sporadic high idle" issue? 

Very good checklist Dean!

My XS500 was sitting in a garage for several years.  The first steps I had to do was to drain the old stale gas out of the gas tank, clean and coat the interior of the tank, repair / replace the petcocks.

I have followed all of the steps except adjusting the timing, which I am working on now.  I am fighting the "sporadic high idle" issue.  Hoping the timing adjustment will solve.

Thanks for an excellent forum and the experts giving directions and advice!

Curt

Offline TXRAT

• USA
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 12:58:13 PM »
Maybe be a little more upfront with the 371 motor.  . It's $20 filter ,  and make sure you use the right oil.,

Offline Craigdorsey

• Vintage Vacations
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 11:42:28 PM »
Maybe be a little more upfront with the 371 motor.  . It's $20 filter ,  and make sure you use the right oil.,

Newbie here, what is the correct oil?  I have located an oil filter but not sure which oil to use for my first time?

Offline kickstarter

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 03:50:31 PM »
Thanx for this check list this is just what I need. 40 years of trial and error on these bikes says more than the service manual ever could.

Craig, the manual calls for 20W-40 Type "SE" motor oil. 3.2 quarts (TX500-500A) but again 40 years of trial and error may say something different.