FAQ: How To Test Harley Davidson Ignition Switch?
- 1 How do you test an ignition switch on a motorcycle?
- 2 How do you check an ignition switch with a meter?
- 3 How do you reset the ignition switch on a Harley Davidson?
- 4 How do you test a 12 volt ignition switch?
- 5 How do I know if my ignition switch is bad on my motorcycle?
- 6 How do I know if my stator is working?
- 7 How do I know if the ignition switch is bad?
- 8 How do I know if I have a bad ignition switch?
- 9 Can you bypass an ignition switch?
- 10 What is P&A fuse on Harley?
- 11 How do you reprogram a Harley ECM?
- 12 Can ignition switch cause no crank?
- 13 Can you jump a car with a bad ignition switch?
- 14 How do you test an ezgo ignition switch?
How do you test an ignition switch on a motorcycle?
Set the voltage meter to 12 volts resistance and turn the ignition key to the “On” position. The meter should show a reading in the range of 12 volts. If the meter shows a reading, the starting problem is not with the ignition switch.
How do you check an ignition switch with a meter?
Turn the ignition switch until you get to the OFF position. Using the positive lead of the multimeter, put the probe at the back of the power feed wire of the module and the negative lead into the ground base of your distributor. Turn the ignition key to the RUN position and measure the voltage using the multimeter.
How do you reset the ignition switch on a Harley Davidson?
Harley Davidson Touring: How to Reset Your ECM
- Step 1 – Turn run switch on. Before you start the reset procedure, be sure your run/stop switch is turned on.
- Step 2 – Turn ignition on and off. With the run/stop switch on, turn the ignition on and then off three times.
- Step 3 – Turn run switch off.
How do you test a 12 volt ignition switch?
Touch the black lead on the voltmeter to the frame of the vehicle. The voltage readout on the voltmeter should read 12.6 volts. If it reads less than 12 volts, your battery is dead, and you need to replace it. Put the ignition key into the ignition switch and crank the engine.
How do I know if my ignition switch is bad on my motorcycle?
If your engine won’t start, then you should check the ignition switch. Turn the key to the first click and see if the neutral light comes on. If the light doesn’t come on then this suggests that there is a problem with the ignition switch itself. If this is the case then the entire switch needs to be replaced.
How do I know if my stator is working?
Insert each probe into a stator socket. You should read around 0.2 to 0.5 ohms. If you show an open circuit with the “Open” or infinity reading or have higher resistance, then the stator is bad and you must replace it. If these tests all produce positive results, then the stator itself is good.
How do I know if the ignition switch is bad?
Signs Of A Faulty Ignition Switch
- Car Won’t Start. If you turn your key and the car attempts to start, but fails, then you might have a broken ignition switch.
- Key Won’t Turn.
- Car Stalls.
- No Noise From The Starter.
- Dashboard Lights Flicker.
How do I know if I have a bad ignition switch?
These are the most common symptoms of ignition switch trouble.
- Car Fails to Start. One of the most obvious signs of a failing or faulty ignition switch is if the car won’t start when the key is turned.
- Key will not Turn.
- Vehicle Stalls.
- No Noise from the Starter Motor.
- Dashboard Lights Flicker.
Can you bypass an ignition switch?
Bypassing a broken ignition switch is quite a technical procedure that will require a little more than just a manual and a keen sense of learning. The best case scenario is that you take your car to a professional to handle it or simply just replace the switch.
What is P&A fuse on Harley?
P&A fuse (2): A 15A fuse that protects the circuits of any installed accessories. Battery fuse (3): A 15A fuse that protects all the circuits. If the battery fuse fails while the engine is running, the engine will continue to run and critical circuits like the ABS brakes will continue to function.
How do you reprogram a Harley ECM?
How do you reset the ECM?
- turn big switch off & on 5 times with in 10 seconds.
- With the “kill switch” on the handlebars set to the run position turn the big ignition switch to the run position for 10 seconds and then turn it off and count for another 10 seconds.
Can ignition switch cause no crank?
IGNITION SWITCH TURNS ON BUT ENGINE WILL NOT CRANK If nothing happens when you turn the ignition switch to the start position, the problem may be a bad ignition switch, or it may be a fault in the starting circuit.
Can you jump a car with a bad ignition switch?
Jumper links Find the solenoid and connect it to the positive terminal of the battery. Unplug the ignition wiring from the solenoid. With the help of a screwdriver, connect the solenoid to the post where the ignition switch connects. This will activate the solenoid and the vehicle should startup.
How do you test an ezgo ignition switch?
Re: test an ez go key switch Hook the black probe to the 36v- on the battery pack and the red probe on the back of the keyswitch. on 1 of the wires at the back of the keyswitch you should see constant pack voltage, on the other wire, you should see voltage only when the key is in the on position.