Often asked: Directions How To Dry Time Harley Davidson Shovelhead 1200?
- 1 How do I set the timing on my Shovelhead?
- 2 How many miles will a Shovelhead last?
- 3 How do you use the timing light on a Harley Davidson?
- 4 How do I know if my Harley timing is off?
- 5 How do you use the timing light on a motorcycle?
- 6 How do you set Ironhead points?
- 7 Which is better Panhead or Shovelhead?
- 8 Are Harley Shovelheads reliable?
- 9 Is an Ironhead a Shovelhead?
- 10 How do you adjust the ignition timing on a Harley Evo?
How do I set the timing on my Shovelhead?
How to Set the Timing on Shovelhead Points
- Remove the spark plugs, the timing port plug (on the left side of the engine case between the cylinders) and the timing cover (on the right side of the engine case).
- Place your thumb over the front-cylinder spark plug hole and kick the engine over slowly with the kick starter.
How many miles will a Shovelhead last?
With a lack of oil and excessive heat, the valves were prone to sticking and destroying the top end. Numerous Harley technicians even stated that without necessary top-end modifications, the motors would often last only between 500 and 5,000 miles.
How do you use the timing light on a Harley Davidson?
Connect the positive terminal of an inductive timing light to the positive battery terminal of the motorcycle. Connect the negative terminal of the timing light to the negative terminal of the battery. Connect the inductive pickup probe of the timing light to the front cylinder spark plug wire.
How do I know if my Harley timing is off?
Raise RPM’s to at 2k., this advances your timing. You should see a Dot in the hole, pretty much centered. If it’s not then loosen the 2 stand offs for the timing plate so you can rotate it to center, or within the opening.
How do you use the timing light on a motorcycle?
To dynamically time a motorcycle ignition:
- Hook up your timing light as per the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Remove the points cover.
- Start the engine.
- Aim the timing light through the points plate view hole.
- Confirm that the “F” mark aligns with the engine case’s timing mark at idle.
How do you set Ironhead points?
Loosen the screw securing the points to the point plate. Use a screwdriver to adjust the point gap (you will see the slot in the points plate and the case behind it). Use a feeler gage to set the gap to 0.018″. When gap is correct you should be able to slide the feeler gage between the points and back out with no drag.
Which is better Panhead or Shovelhead?
The Shovelhead essentially was an improved version of the Panhead. It featured 10 percent more power than the Panhead. Early Shovelheads kept the lower style of the Panhead engine but bolted on a new top end.
Are Harley Shovelheads reliable?
If you follow the specs in the book and use good quality parts and have your machine work done properly, the Shovelhead is as reliable as any other motorcycle, Otherwise, it will leave you by the side of the road every time.
Is an Ironhead a Shovelhead?
Yes, you got it. Shovelheads are aluminum headed single cam motors. Pre-Evo Sportsters have cast Iron cylinder heads. Hence the nick-name “Ironhead”.
How do you adjust the ignition timing on a Harley Evo?
Remove the timing cover from the right side of the motor. Loosen the the timing plate screws with a slotted screwdriver, and turn the timing plate to adjust the timing. Recheck the timing marks with the timing light. Tighten the timing plate screws, and install the cover.