Often asked: How To Winterize A Harley Davidson Motorcycle?
- 1 How do you winterize a Harley Davidson motorcycle?
- 2 How do I prepare my motorcycle for winter storage?
- 3 Should you start your motorcycle in the winter?
- 4 What is the best way to winterize a motorcycle?
- 5 Should you cover your motorcycle?
- 6 How do I keep my motorcycle warm in the winter?
- 7 What happens if you don’t winterize your motorcycle?
- 8 Is it bad to let a motorcycle idle?
- 9 Is it bad to leave motorcycle in the cold?
- 10 How cold is too cold for a motorcycle?
- 11 Is it bad to let a Harley idle?
- 12 What happens if you don’t start your bike for a year?
- 13 Do I need to winterize my motorcycle if stored inside?
- 14 Should I cover my motorcycle if it’s wet?
- 15 Do you need fuel stabilizer motorcycle?
How do you winterize a Harley Davidson motorcycle?
How to Winterize Your Harley-Davidson® Motorcycle
- Change Oil & Filter. Don’t let your bike sit with dirty oil all winter.
- Add Fuel Stabilizer.
- Fill Up Your Gas Tank.
- Check Coolant/Anti-freeze.
- Wash Your Bike.
- Use Battery Tender.
- Plug Exhaust.
- Place Bike on Rubber Mat.
How do I prepare my motorcycle for winter storage?
Keep reading to learn the basics of winterizing a motorcycle for winter storage.
- Clean all exterior surfaces of dirt and debris.
- Make sure all moving parts are well lubricated.
- Top off the fuel tank and add a fuel stabilizer.
- Change the oil and replace the filter.
- Remove the battery and hook it up to a trickle charger.
Should you start your motorcycle in the winter?
All motorcycle owners should start and run their motorcycles for at least 15 minutes once a week during the winter. Letting it run will keep all the engine components and gaskets lubricated, eliminates condensation buildup, ensures the carburetor will not gum up, and recharges the battery.
What is the best way to winterize a motorcycle?
How to Winterize Your Motorcycle
- Have Your Bike Serviced. Inspect chains and belt to see if they need to be lubricated, advises ExtraMile.
- Clean Your Bike.
- Get An Oil Change.
- Use Fuel Stabilizer.
- Charge Your Battery.
- Find Indoor Storage.
- Update Your Motorcycle Coverage.
- Related Resources:
Should you cover your motorcycle?
A motorcycle should be covered any time it is stored outdoors. It will be exposed to all elements and is more susceptible compared to being stored indoors. But occasional exposure should be just fine.
How do I keep my motorcycle warm in the winter?
The best ways to keep your motorcycle warm in winter are:
- Motorcycle engine block heater.
- Garage overhead heater.
- Heavy electric blanket around the engine and carburetors.
- An electric heated motorcycle cover.
- A motorcycle cover air flow heater under the cover.
- Electric heater blowing on the engine block before startup.
What happens if you don’t winterize your motorcycle?
If you don’t winterize your motorcycle, a number of possible things could happen to it by the time spring arrives. Such things may include deposits developed in the gas and fuel system, sludged oil, a brittle chain, cracked and flat tires, a frozen and/or dead battery, and deposits developed in the cooling system.
Is it bad to let a motorcycle idle?
Letting a motorcycle idle is not bad provided that it is not done excessively. Liquid cooled motorcycles can tolerate idling better compared to air cooled motorcycles and temperature should be considered when it comes to letting an air cooled engine idle.
Is it bad to leave motorcycle in the cold?
You can keep a motorcycle outside in the winter as long it has been properly prepared for the season and it is dressed with a good, reliable cover to prevent any water or moisture from getting in places that could cause damage.
How cold is too cold for a motorcycle?
So how cold is too cold to ride a motorcycle? It is not recommended to ride a motorcycle when the temperature is below freezing (32°F or 0°C). Ice will form at these temperatures and motorcycles are more susceptible to ice since they are smaller vehicles.
Is it bad to let a Harley idle?
It’s an air cooled engine which needs air flowing over the engine fins to cool it down. Just letting then sit and idle for prolonged periods of time is not healthy.
What happens if you don’t start your bike for a year?
If a car or bike is left unused for many weeks, the battery could die. Many cars use some amount of power even when parked to power the central locking or security system. To prevent this, if you know that the vehicle is not going to be used, one can disconnect the battery.
Do I need to winterize my motorcycle if stored inside?
You need to run your motorcycle to its full operating temperature to cook off moisture and recharge your battery. Otherwise, that quick start can be hard on your motor and moisture could end up where you don’t want it. Ship it to motorcycle to Florida or California for winter get away!
Should I cover my motorcycle if it’s wet?
It is better to allow a bike to dry out before being covered or left uncovered entirely. Do not cover a wet motorcycle, but rather cover it after ensuring the bike is dry.
Do you need fuel stabilizer motorcycle?
You generally only need to stabilize fuel if you won’t use it up within two months (but carbureted bikes should still be run every couple of weeks as described above). Adding a little new gas or stabilizer to old gas won’t renew it, nor will adding more stabilizer to old stabilized gas extend its usable life.